If everything is clear with physical health: it is based on nutrition, sports, and sleep, then mental health is a little more complicated. The criteria for mental health include the following:
- Respect for self-interest. Emotionally healthy people primarily respect personal interests and sacrifice to a certain extent without harming themselves.
- Sufficient energy levels. It means to have a desire to live, act and be involved in different activities.
- Curiosity and interest. It stands for fascination, inspiration and curiosity about the details of life. To some extent, it is a sign of psychological youth. As soon as a person ceases to be interested in what they are doing in their life, he starts to lose his energy and grows mentally old.
- Taste of life. Healthy people enjoy and take pleasure in simple things.
- To be spontaneous and creative in one's daily life. It implies having a flexible mindset and not setting rigid rules for themselves or others.
- Stress-resistance. We can draw a comparison: a healthy mind is like surfing. Stress is the wave, and the surfer is our attitude toward stress. We should either choose to use the wave's energy for great things or wait until the wave hits us.
- Emotional intelligence. It refers to the ability to identify your emotions and understand what is happening to you. People who are not aware of identifying their feelings are at greater risk for various mental disorders
Many people think that there is no way to change our personality. Our psyche is constantly evolving, which means that some of its characteristics can be built like body muscles. As a result, our mental health improves.